Photo

Which Laptop should I get for Web Designing?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Considering our industry gets a lot of our software and tools for free, the price of a mac or a good PC really isn't much, especially if you work professionally and make an income off it.

I've bought two Mac laptops in 9 years. It's highly justifiable, considering I didn't have to get a degree, and made a career from basically a £1000 investment and lots of time.

Also, the software you get for Mac is infinitely better than PC. Sketch and Affinity have basically replaced Adobe CC at a fraction of the cost, which is a big saving in itself. For example, Affinity Photo is a one off £29.99, and it gives Photoshop a serious run for its money. I've been using the beta for the last month and haven't needed PS since.

#82 NullDrone

NullDrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

You need to read mine and Citypauls posts.  There's a lot in web development that you cannot do in windows.  Most professional developers work in the terminal, try doing this in windows on a day-to-day basis, it's a nightmare.

OSX is built on unix, the majority of servers are built on unix.  This is why a Mac is superior.

Linux is also built on unix.

And does it really save that much time?

I might consider buying a mac in the future when i have a decent income but for now i'll stick to linux and windows, the only time i use windows is for photoshop, if they got that working well under wine you'd only need linux. linux is always updating so i bet in the future it'll destroy mac.

i would use mac at work but i see that it also has flaws like every other os, if they have macs at work then i'll use them, even if macs are superior i doubt they are that superior, how much time do they save for you? and why do pro's develop on the command line?

Edited by NullDrone, 21 July 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#83 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

Yes linux is also on unix.  I've just seen a few issues with some software incompatabilities with it.

You don't develop totally in the command line, although some do using someting like VIM, if you're a fast typist it's much faster not having to use the mouse at all.   if you watch somebody experienced with VIM the speed they can work at is mesmerising.

Anyway things like GIT, Node, Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Webpack and many others all are built for command line useage, some of them like GIT do have GUIs but point and clicking is considerably slower than typing commands.  Maybe not at first but once you know the commands and use autocomplete with the tab key things are a lot faster.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 21 July 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#84 NullDrone

NullDrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

Yes linux is also on unix.  I've just seen a few issues with some software incompatabilities with it.

You don't develop totally in the command line, although some do using someting like VIM, if you're a fast typist it's much faster not having to use the mouse at all.   if you watch somebody experienced with VIM the speed they can work at is mesmerising.

Anyway things like GIT, Node, Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Webpack and many others all are built for command line useage, some of them like GIT do have GUIs but point and clicking is considerably slower than typing commands.  Maybe not at first but once you know the commands and use autocomplete with the tab key things are a lot faster.

Do you earn more money in the workplace if you are developing faster? Or do you have certain deadlines to when something is to be completed? I understand if you are freelancing seeing as you can take on more jobs, but I can't imagine it making a difference working for someone else.

Exactly how much faster is it?

Edited by NullDrone, 21 July 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#85 D4Y0

D4Y0

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Experience:Advanced

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

I work for a company and you have to hit deadlines, plus if you can make your work easier why would you not.

What i like about the command line is that i can do everything from it, from editing a file in VIM to restarting the HTTP server. Plus if i have to do a lot of repetitive tasks i can just make a bash script to do it for me i.e. i have this script to automatically create the default files for a new module

mkdir $1
echo "var $1 = function() {}; 
$1.prototype = {
	includes: [],
	construct: function (){
	},
	destruct: function (){	
	}
};" > $1/module.$1.js

>$1/module.$1.html

svn add $1/
svn ci $1/

so with this command "./newModule test" it creates the basic structure for me, it only saves <30 seconds but every little helps

Edited by D4Y0, 21 July 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#86 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

Jumping around the file system, creating folders and moving them ect is also really fast.  It's good to learn also because when you get SSH access to a server you can perform all the same operations remotely on the server, so deloying work, pulling down fixes etc becomes very trivial in terms of time taken.

Afterall time is money so if we can save time doing these things it can be better spent on other aspects of the project giving the client more value.

In terms of employment knowing the terminal will always be on the list of nice haves for prospective employees, the better we are the better wage / jobs we can get so any form of improvment is beneficial and that includes terminal knowledge.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 21 July 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#87 nigelwright7557

nigelwright7557

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

For development work I would never use a laptop.

I use a top of the range Skylake PC with a 28 inch monitor and 8GB DRAM.

I not only design websites but do CAD work as well.

#88 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

I have a three year old Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM which can be plugged into multiple widescreen monitors without issue. I prefer to use my laptop as it's highly powered and obviously really portable - works like a charm.

Just hoping Apple announce a new Macbook Pro soon, as it's been quite a while since the last update.

#89 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

Almost all modern laptops are more powerful than that.  And like Paul says you can fix up laptops to large monitors.  Like all the engineers I work with do - Yeah we all work from Mac Books because they are more than adequate.

#90 neil0wen

neil0wen

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:12 PM

An old post, but an interesting one.

I have used both mac and PC, and I would pick PC as you get better value for money. Macs are well over priced and quite frankly they do the same job. For the same price you can get a PC that is twice as powerful as a mac. I currently use an HP Envy, which works really well. However I have been told that most decent PCs these days use a solid state drive as they load/startup very quickly (almost instantly), and they tend to last longer without the performance starting to lag.

If monitor size is an issue, you can certainly afford to get a larger screen with PC and when I'm at work I plugin to another monitor as it's always useful having two.

#91 VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

The best possible option is custom PC, not a branded one. Brand adds 20% cost. The best performance is with the PC. A friend or guys in a computer store will assemble you just the perfect PC for your needs. Laptops are encreasing performance lately more than ever but just not enough to compete with PC except if its 3000$ or more wich in not cost effective. But if all option mentioned above aren't right for you than for laptop i would recommend lenovo thinkpad as for workstaiton. I know they are quite powerful and reliable. ;)

#92 HostAG

HostAG

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

Instead of getting a Macbook. What do you think about this one?

http://www.dell.com/...-9550-laptop/pd

It has everything you will ever need.

#93 freyajessicaa

freyajessicaa

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

Nice Post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users