Photo

Which Laptop should I get for Web Designing?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Digitalme

Digitalme

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'v got a Dell Inspiron 9400 and I have had it for 5years. It has been a brilliant servant to me in the past, but it's turning into Rio Ferdinand, slow and unreliable.

I need to buy a new Laptop fairly soon it seems.

I want to ask you guys, which is the best Laptop to get if my main priority is Web Designing/development, Photoshop, and surfing the internet?

Any brands you recommend, etc?

And what should I be looking for, in terms of the Laptop's speed, power, memory, etc...

(By the way, I do not want an Apple Laptop :pp )

Thanks!

Edited by Digitalme, 21 August 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

I love Acer, personal preference is Mac, but if i was going Windows, definitely Acer.

#3 JoshUK

JoshUK

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

you dont know what your missing.

#4 Digitalme

Digitalme

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

^^^ Ok, i might be willing to convert to Apple and join the fray, but I'm going to need reasons! lol.

So why are Apple laptops so great?

#5 Fran Haselden

Fran Haselden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Because they're shiny.

In fairness, Apple laptops are good. They're great, they work well, they give excellent viewing on the screen. But... there isn't any point unless you have the 20% extra lying around. I have had a MacBook and an iMac, and they're very good machines... but they're not better for the price.

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

They are amazing. I thought the same, got an iMac, and would NEVER go back. Trust me. Expensive, but worth it IMO.

#7 colorful

colorful

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

I think that brand is not that important. For instance, intel pentium processors are very good while working with design softwares. Had a lot of trouble with celeron(probably the laptop was faulty) few years ago. No problems with pentium processors so far. Take 4 GB ram. Try to make approximate estimates on the hardware and then look for the model that has it. I know designers working on new asus and acer laptops. My opinion, hardware matters.

#8 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

Available for custom WordPress work

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

So why are Apple laptops so great?

Build quality, basically. Also helps that the people who rave about them are used to using OSX as their main operating system. Reality check: if you're used to a Windows machine, you'll work faster and more efficiently on a Windows machine.

What you need will depend on whether you have a desktop too. If the laptop's your main machine which you use for everything, get a 15" or 17" model with a decent screen resolution and plenty of power. If you have a desktop and the laptop is purely for backup when you're on the move, go for something as light and portable as possible.

Also look for build quality - don't get a plastic cheap-arse consumer model; if you're willing to consider spending more to get Apple hardware, why not buy a Windows machine of comparable quality? This is the tools of your trade we're talking about here, it pays to buy quality.

Top picks: Dell XPS 15z (no desktop) Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook (have desktop, need road machine)

Had a lot of trouble with celeron(probably the laptop was faulty) few years ago.

Celerons have very limited cache, which makes them dog-slow - they have to hit RAM much more frequently (which is much slower) because barely anything fits in their on-die cache.

Edited by Renaissance-Design, 30 September 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#9 Eoin

Eoin

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

I'v got a Dell Inspiron 9400 and I have had it for 5years. It has been a brilliant servant to me in the past, but it's turning into Rio Ferdinand, slow and unreliable.

I need to buy a new Laptop fairly soon it seems.

I want to ask you guys, which is the best Laptop to get if my main priority is Web Designing/development, Photoshop, and surfing the internet?

Any brands you recommend, etc?

And what should I be looking for, in terms of the Laptop's speed, power, memory, etc...

Thanks!

I think at its simplest your question could be reduced to the following:

If you wear thick rim designer glasses, have a wardrobe of Che Guevara t-shirts and no sense of irony, spend more than 1 minute on your hair every morning and use the word 'passionate' in every second sentence - the Apple is for you.

However, if like me you're a bitter misanthrope then go Windows so that you can live with yourself.

In terms of hardware, web-design/development doesn't actually need all that much beef. On my desktop here I've got Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator CS6 open simultaneously on Windows 7 and my RAM usage is only 3100 MB. If you do any video editing (e.g. After Effects/Premier Pro) then you want to get as much power as you can get, but aside from that any Intel Core i3/i5 will be powerful enough. 4GB of RAM would be enough, but for really heavy multi-tasking and/or future proofing it could be worth 8GB depending on the price difference. One area of contentiousness with laptops is the graphics card, because this isn't generally upgradeable. Photoshop benefits from OpenGL hardware acceleration, so a discrete Nvidia/ATI graphics card is of tangible benefit when manipulating photographs over the onboard Intel offerings, though you really need to check benchmarks for each particular laptop GPU.

Hope it's of some help!
Eoin

#10 GMT

GMT

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Levono laptops are a great choice for web dev and ingeneral. Newegg tends to have good deals on anything computing too.

#11 marcelc

marcelc

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Like what RD said, Apple products have quality. By spec, they are the same with other cheaper Windows machine and might even be worse. But the experience that Apple packed with their products is incomparable. When you unpacked your Apple machine, you will be stunned on how they craft all of the details: the package it self, the machine and the software inside. It's just simply beautiful and that's experience is why many people stick with Apple machine.

To develop sites though, I find it more difficult with OSX. OSX has a limited environment and not as free as Windows. You can't easily find source code. But then, because of this experience, I don't mind to go through these struggle.

If you are not searching for a laptop as your main machine, then I do say by Mac book and buy a Windows PC for your main machine. But otherwise, Windows laptop will be your best choice.

#12 magentomodules

magentomodules

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

I am using acer, my friends are using it, too. But we all had trouble with this kind of PC because their RAMs are very easy to get broken. we all have to change it.
I think you should buy Lenovo or Dell. coz they are more durable.

#13 amiut

amiut

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

i don't like mac , HP and Acer are good

#14 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

What you need will depend on whether you have a desktop too. If the laptop's your main machine which you use for everything, get a 15" or 17" model with a decent screen resolution and plenty of power. If you have a desktop and the laptop is purely for backup when you're on the move, go for something as light and portable as possible.

This. This. This.

Don't ever replace the real-estate of a proper screen (desktop) with a laptop. For me a laptop is not a nice play to work on a daily basis.

And all this talk of mac books, come on people! You're paying for the aesthetic and yes they are built pretty well but so are similarly priced Win' based machines! As Chris says if you're used to Windows a Windows laptop will server you better and is in no way inferior, actually at the same price point often the opposite is true.

My girlfriend is an illustrator and artist, she loves her macbook, but she has still yet to show me how it betters my Windows PC in any shape or form. The same situation for the designers that work for me with they iMacs, their general defence of the Apple fad is "yeah, but look at it!".

#15 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Like what RD said, Apple products have quality. By spec, they are the same with other cheaper Windows machine and might even be worse. But the experience that Apple packed with their products is incomparable. When you unpacked your Apple machine, you will be stunned on how they craft all of the details: the package it self, the machine and the software inside. It's just simply beautiful and that's experience is why many people stick with Apple machine.

Please. You're saying it's worth three times the price because of how it's packaged?

Sounds like a mugs game to me!

#16 Hostwinds

Hostwinds

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Apple Laptops come with graphic design interface in mind, and have exceptional versions of graphic design software that I think you would find intriguing. It may seem like hype, but they have quite a wide range of features that are very capable, especially in the design area.
I apologize in advance for not answering your question to the fullest, but as soon as I saw your question the first thing that came to mind was: Macbook Pro.
O.O

#17 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

This forum is getting worse for spambastards™.

Edited by MMMedia, 14 November 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#18 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

Available for custom WordPress work

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

This forum is getting worse for spambastards™.

Cleaned that up for you.

#19 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Cleaned that up for you.

It's a thankless task!

#20 connersz

connersz

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

This made me LOL!

Can I have the option to get a macbook in a tesco bag and save £400 off the price tag?

I don't give a monkeys how beautiful the packaging is, are you one of those people who do the creepy unboxing videos on youtube?

#21 _Jabba_

_Jabba_

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Dual monitors increase efficiency significantly; trust me, I'm an adult. Please also consider the following:

1. Go for the biggest screen.

2. Go for the biggest screen.

3. Ensure it has an HDMI port.

4. DO NOT under ANY circumstance buy an HP laptop series before 2010 (e.g. DV6, D7000, Dv8000, DVanything, G6)... you have been warned.

5. I would recommend 8GB of RAM if you plan to store all your running applications in RAM for performance (every web / graphic designer should do this)

6. Quad Core processor if you think it's necessary

Nice soccer joke.

#22 grimus

grimus

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

Take an online laptop shop, set up your preferences and buy it. If I needed to buy a laptop these would be my preferences: 1GB dedicated VGA, i7, simple keyboard, ssd, anti-glare 15" screen, 8GB ram. You can buy it around £700. It's perfect work job. 

Edited by grimus, 26 April 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#23 JackDanielTracy

JackDanielTracy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

According to  Accer And sony is best.

According to who? Also, why post on such an old thread? 

#24 benrob123

benrob123

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

I have been working with Windows for 12 years and have just recently purchased a Mac for design work, it is probably the best computer I have ever used.  Mac are superior to windows without a doubt.  I now spend most of my time designing rather than fire fighting and fixing bugs that are notorious within the windows environment.  I will never go back!!  

#25 Rebellion88

Rebellion88

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

Asus have outstanding build quality or Lenovo would be my pick of the two.  I have owned countless laptops, and with the tough life they lead with me they are my recommendations, or better value would be to build a desktop from scratch.  That way your get better performance for money.

#26 Aled Mann

Aled Mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

Windows has been awful for years on any laptop imo.  Personally I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I moved to a Macbook Pro 5 years ago (mid 2010 model) and it's the best thing I ever did.  I've seen 3 laptops come and go since then by my wife and daughter yet this laptop is still as fast today as the day I got it.  I've also never seen a system error and it's never crashed once and of course never had a virus.  The laptop is on 12-15 hours a day, 7 days a week running several resource heavy applications simultaneously and runs them with ease. Amazing considering it's age. You just can't argue with that!!  Crazy expensive new yes, but definitely worth it.  

Edit: lol how old is this thread!   :blink:

Edited by Aled Mann, 13 April 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#27 cherrydesigns

cherrydesigns

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

Windows has been awful for years on any laptop imo.  Personally I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I moved to a Macbook Pro 5 years ago (mid 2010 model) and it's the best thing I ever did.  I've seen 3 laptops come and go since then by my wife and daughter yet this laptop is still as fast today as the day I got it.  I've also never seen a system error and it's never crashed once and of course never had a virus.  The laptop is on 12-15 hours a day, 7 days a week running several resource heavy applications simultaneously and runs them with ease. Amazing considering it's age. You just can't argue with that!!  Crazy expensive new yes, but definitely worth it.  

Edit: lol how old is this thread!   :blink:

Agreed, MAC is the only way forward :) expensive but they just keep going and going.. 

#28 Hostissimus

Hostissimus

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Area of Expertise:System Administrator

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:24 PM

I would go for Lenovo, they have wide range of products with quite a low price. I personally have a Samsung Series 9 Ativ Book, and still now I am absolutely satisfied with it.

#29 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

MacBook Pro specced up as high you can.

I use a MacBook Pro with two additional screens at work and it's just fantastic.

Edited by NOCK, 14 April 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#30 danners2003

danners2003

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

I love Acer, personal preference is Mac, but if i was going Windows, definitely Acer.

Good to hear got myself an Acer just before my birthday, my old one packed up. Really impressed so far, little things like not waiting half hour before I can use it has increased my work load by a bit. Fairly cheap as well for it's specs.

#31 Sneijder

Sneijder

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

Just sifting because I'm bored waiting for my HTML question to be answered lol..

If I were buying a new one it be something like this:

I bought an Alienware 11 thinking it was cool.. compact and all that.. without realising the Alienware brand is a bit overpriced anyway.. with low specs.. and 11 inches is just a bit too small etc..

I think I'm ready to back to a desktop lol..

Also you'd be surprised on how the processor speed alone.. let alone if it's dual core and all that.. is really important etc..

It be impossible to buy a really fast processor with really low RAM anyway.. unless you're building one it's just impossible..

Processor speed rules whether it's something really old like a Pentium III or something.

#32 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:06 AM

Without a doub Mac, if you are serious about building websites.

#33 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

Without a doub Mac, if you are serious about building websites.

Lol, made me smile :D

Never realised I wasn't serious about designing websites ;)

Edited by BrowserBugs, 15 April 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#34 Rebellion88

Rebellion88

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

In all honesty I don't know why Mac's have a reputation for being better at design applications.  First and foremost you can get a better specification for less money on a windows machine.  With all the Adobe products fully functional and many more free ones, secondly I own a Asus G750which is easily up-gradable full HD and the cooling which is second to none.  Asus, or Lenovo are the two brands I would choose or something with a Sager/Clevo casing for upgrade ability.  I normally change my laptop every 12 months and have two I use so been through a fair few.  

Secondly on a post earlier about a laptop with an i5, for things like photoshop an i7 will be superior on a mobile platform as the i5 mobile series are dual cores with hyperthreading where as the i7's are quads and will give a massive performance increase.  

#35 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

It's not about the spec, it's down to the OS on a mac and that it is unix based, which is also the case for most servers.  Maybe this isn't so important for design but for development it makes things much smoother, and communication with the server more straightforward.

The Unix command line is also far better than that used by windows, I've got a Windows machine at home and a mac at work and doing things like installing Node, Ruby and so forth is far easier on my mac than my windows machine. (Ruby being pre-installed)  I'll pay you if you can find a big name developer at a conference who isn't using a mac. (Provided the don't work for MS).  there is also a lot of development software that isn't available on Windows, like codeKit.  This article does better job of explaining than I can http://code.tutsplus...-mac--net-11831  (Don't agree with the great hardware but but the stuff about the shell is what I'm talking about).

If you want to be an uber geek then a hackintosh is a good way to go.http://www.hackintosh.com/

There are two back-end developers at our place who use 'windows' machines, but since installed Linux for the reasons mentioned above.  I haven't but I do plan on changing to a Mac book pro before the years end.

Btw I still recommend windows to all non developers or friends who just use a machine for web browsing or simple tasks, then a windows machine is better value for money.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 18 April 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#36 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:16 PM

It's not about the spec, it's down to the OS on a mac and that it is unix based, which is also the case for most servers.  Maybe this isn't so important for design but for development it makes things much smoother, and communication with the server more straightforward.

The Unix command line is also far better than that used by windows, I've got a Windows machine at home and a mac at work and doing things like installing Node, Ruby and so forth is far easier on my mac than my windows machine. (Ruby being pre-installed)  I'll pay you if you can find a big name developer at a conference who isn't using a mac. (Provided the don't work for MS).  there is also a lot of development software that isn't available on Windows, like codeKit.  This article does better job of explaining than I can http://code.tutsplus...-mac--net-11831  (Don't agree with the great hardware but but the stuff about the shell is what I'm talking about).

If you want to be an uber geek then a hackintosh is a good way to go.http://www.hackintosh.com/

There are two back-end developers at our place who use 'windows' machines, but since installed Linux for the reasons mentioned above.  I haven't but I do plan on changing to a Mac book pro before the years end.

Btw I still recommend windows to all non developers or friends who just use a machine for web browsing or simple tasks, then a windows machine is better value for money.

Spot on. I was reading through this thread and was about to make the same point about the unix command line - this is the single stand out reason I can't use windows for web development. I simply have to have a unix based command line, and windows machines just don't cut the mustard. I'd feel like my entire workflow was broken if I had to use windows.

#37 davep

davep

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

op did say web design not web dev though, at least in the subject but they did then change it to a /dev. i wonder whether they mean front end rather than back end?

#38 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

op did say web design not web dev though, at least in the subject but they did then change it to a /dev. i wonder whether they mean front end rather than back end?

It's always hard to tell as when people say web design they often mean the whole package, design, front-end and backend.  For any of the latter two then Mac has clear advantages especially the command line.  I do front-end but I still use the shell as a major part of my workflow.

Specifically for design then it's less important, but I do know designers who swear by Mac.

For general useage both are pretty similar, I'd still say Mac edges it, but that doesn't justify the premium enough imo.

#39 CreativeSheep

CreativeSheep

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

I can web design on my Core2Duo.

#40 robbydesigns

robbydesigns