Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hi wdf.

Although I only recently posted my v3 here I felt like a change again. This time I wanted it cleaner and I wanted to play with depth and js. Had my first attempt at making a mobile version too, which you can see if you resize to 320px.

I'm not totally sure if I'll switch yet, what do you think?

New: lostinnovation v4
Old: lostinnovation v3

Thoughts on the design in general are appreciated.

Cheers,
~evu.

#2 mantis

mantis

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I prefer v3 which looks pretty slick btw. I'm not too fond of the colours on v4 also I think its important to be able to zoom the portfolio images easily without having to click on a seperate link. A bit too minimalist in my opinion.

#3 Chosen

Chosen

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I think v4 looks very attractive, much more than the v3. The portfolio come-up is perfect. v3 looks slightly outdated compared to v4, but that's just me. Simplicity working at it's finest.

Edited by Chosen, 08 April 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#4 evu

evu

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I think its important to be able to zoom the portfolio images easily without having to click on a seperate link. A bit too minimalist in my opinion.

Hi mantis, I'm not so sure it's "minimal" enough for me yet hehe :) And I had concerns about the portfolio images working like that myself. The "no-js" version shows the description on hover and links to site on clicking the image, I can't decide which one I prefer. It's not very smooth without js but after reading your comment I wonder if I can get a nice enough effect with transitions. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers Chosen.

~evu.

eD: Changed. You can disable js and try it out.

Edited by evu, 08 April 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#5 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Sorry, but v4 isn't working. It took me ages to figure out where to see your work, and when I did, it was just tiny thumbnails. I know they are links but tiny thumbnails hidden away and difficult to find is not the way to do a portfolio.

This is a similar problem that you have on your actual site, where you spend far too much time waffling on, instead of the focus being on your work.

The colours of v4 are also....not great.

I would say that you need to go back to the drawing board a bit here. Go back to your original site, chop out the waffle (you could easily get rid of 80% of your text) and make your work the focus, and don't hide it away or make it difficult to see! Also, give your input fields borders, invisible input fields is not good!

Good luck!

• evu likes this

#6 evu

evu

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Excellent feedback mike, thanks!

It took me ages to figure out where to see your work, and when I did, it was just tiny thumbnails. I know they are links but tiny thumbnails hidden away and difficult to find is not the way to do a portfolio.

That's possibly exaggerated? :p But I get your point, the work is the portfolio.

The colours of v4 are also....not great.

Do you think that's a matter of personal preference(because I like 'em) or am I breaking some colour rules here?

make your work the focus, and don't hide it away or make it difficult to see

That's a very valid point mate, cheers.

The whole point of the redesign was to tinker, mind, I'm not trying to attract clients or such. And while I won't be making any changes to this project I'll certainly be taking those points you made with me into v5, they make a lot of sense. Your landing page illustrates this well.

Cheers again dude,
~evu.

#7 mantis

mantis

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Hi mantis, I'm not so sure it's "minimal" enough for me yet hehe :)

I agree with Mike, your work needs to be the focus. I'm all for minimalism but not showing your stuff (or showing tiny thumbnails) sort of defeats the purpose. I do like like your v3 though and maybe you could just make the work the focal point and cut out some of the text? I'd say you have a pretty solid body of work that speaks for itself. I did disable js and it is nice to have links to the actual sites but I need my interest piqued in order to want to click on them.

#8 neil0wen

neil0wen

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

I like the styling on v4, but it looks like the page has not loaded fully. I was waiting for all the content to load. For me, I would prefer something between v3 and v4!

#9 evu

evu

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Cheers dudes, I'll definately take those arguments into the next version of my portfolio.

Appreciated.

~evu.

#10 Agent Lunar

Agent Lunar

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I really like V4 it's simple but everything is accessible from the main screen. The sliding boxes which push the text about are a neat touch too. Nice use of CSS3

#11 Agent Lunar

Agent Lunar

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I really like V4 it's simple but everything is accessible from the main screen. The sliding boxes which push the text about are a neat touch too. Nice use of CSS3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users