#1 PumpkinHead

PumpkinHead

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hello all

Iv been playing with Website for yrs now. wrighting in HTML, CSS, PHP and MSQL. Saying I wright in these languanges would be rong i can us them when i need too (look at this site and over to get what i need).

I love the way the internet works and would love it to become more apart of my life. all I do at the moment is play games. and make site that do F all. Over the yrs iv seen a lot of freinds make web site and make money.

The problems i have if you have not notist is that i cant spell or read that well would say it is D****er but i cant spell it. so sorry for my spelling :)

so what should i do next i would love 2 make a website that works and dose something and makes me some cash is there any ideas out there or any where 2 go 2 get started.

Thanks 2 any one that can help me.

#2 evu

evu

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hi Pumpkin. Unless you have a disorder or condition of some kind, poor spelling is nothing but a result of lazyness. You're on the internet, there's tons of resources to help with English.

Here's a few ideas for great websites that will make you a shizton of money:

• Beat Google.
  • Beat Facebook.
  • Beat Twitter.

If you're a troll, enjoy the lolz.
~evu.

#3 AlexsDesign

AlexsDesign

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

Evu,

I think the first comment in your response is a little harsh and uncalled for.

PumpkinHead mentions that he/she suffers from dyslexia, so this should be taken into consideration.
Just because there are tons of resources online which help with English, doesn't mean it can always help!!
Learning disabilities can not always be overcome!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia)

Anyway... Pumpkinhead...

If you REALLY want to get started, I would advise getting stuck in!
Build a portfolio of some basic sites, showing off your talents and skills you currently have.

Secondly, get to really know the languages you want to use!
Just a quick google search returned the following site:

http://www.w3schools.com (Not a reliable resource. -RD)
http://www.css-tricks.com
http://www.html.net/

A great place to find a list of HTML5 and CSS3 resources can be found here:
http://www.heartinte...-and-resources/

One other thing, you may find using Wordpress, Joomla or any other CMS ( Content Management System ) useful to get started.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Renaissance-Design, 18 March 2012 - 11:37 AM.
Intervention

#4 evu

evu

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hi Alexs, you're right, if he has Dyslexia then it might of been a bit harsh and I do apologise. I just didn't notice that was the blanked out word.

If you need support learning English then you can contact Learn Direct or one of those similar organisations and get your English skills improved with them, usually free with a grant from the governments I would assume.

I still stand by my website idea's though, no one's gonna come here and give an idea that will make you a fortune. Only things that will get you that are hardwork and/or luck.

~evu.

#5 PumpkinHead

PumpkinHead

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for you comments

evu thanks but im not looking for the next Facbook - ****er im just looking for ideas for a small website. Have been looking around the net and fond some

So will have a portfolio up soon

Thanks

#6 AlexsDesign

AlexsDesign

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Really do get a portfolio together :)

One other thing you could start doing is creating HTML templates for people.... this is how I started out.
I did not feel confident enough doing full working websites, so I learnt CSS and Photoshop and created some templates and started to offer them for free!
Then when people start grabbing my freebies, I started selling my better versions.

If you don't ask for stupid amounts of money for a template, you'll be surprised at how well they sell :)

---
Thanks for replying evu, glad to see someone on a forum with integrity and who apologises! :) Its extremely refreshing to see (as it doesn't happen EVER on some of the mobile DJ forums I go on! LOL ) and this is why I like the Web Designer Forums :)

#7 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Even though you have a genuine reason, bad English is always going to put off potential clients. It's just a harsh fact of life.

My suggestion is that whenever you have any sort of contact with a potential client, you get a friend or family member good with English to run through your emails and any correspondence and get it all nice and dandy.

Also, yeah, put together a portfolio. If you haven't got any possibilities for work yet, just make up websites for pretend businesses. Design them, code them, put them in your portfolio, but obviously making clear they were practice pieces.

You could also approach charities and small (by small I mean Uncle Bob the hairdresser) businesses. With the former, offer your work for free. With the latter, offer your work in exchange for beer/pizza/cash.

This way you can get some experience that could get you a position working in this industry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users