• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm the bad guy folks. I used a few images from google images. Shoot me now...

*bang* (for want of proper shooting smiley)

Blackfoot Hosting

#42 jamesosix

jamesosix

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, but this is my job, so I have a reputation and a career to maintain. So I can't really be sitting here saying you pinching images off Google is OK.

Fair point.

Soooo, whilst on this heated subject. Any suggestions for a fair priced image service?

Edited by jamesosix, 16 March 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#43 D.Schuster

D.Schuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Fact is using content you are not allowed to use on your webpage is not only very unprofessional it is also a copyright infringement that can cost you A LOT, I myself rather pay 10€ which is a max for an image than 1000€ for an image.

it is interesting to see that those who yell "share content for everyone" the loudest are usually the ones that get most pissed off when someone copies them.

#44 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

Available for custom WordPress work

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Fair point.

Soooo, whilst on this heated subject. Any suggestions for a fair priced image service?

Reflexstock.

#45 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

For £149 per month, Shutterstock allow you to download 25 images a day and the licence includes most commercial usage. It works out about 750 images, and 750 images for £149 is peanuts. Works out at about 20p each.

Yes, you probably don't want to pay £149 every month, but you could just take it out for one month, download your 750 images, and have a bank of 750 images you can use for future projects.

Edited by brightonmike, 16 March 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#46 4colourprogress

4colourprogress

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Beginner

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

This is what I mean about finding the source of your images, even if you find an image on Google that you think is free and been modified by someone else the original is still there somewhere!

check out jamesosix homepage at

http://myhomerobot.com/

Now check out this

http://www.istockpho...ren-on-back.php

Looks very similar to a stock image. Not saying it was stolen but if you use images from google always reverse search to find the source, otherwise it could come back to bite you in the bum.

Edit: as Mike says below

Edited by 4colourprogress, 16 March 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#47 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Small but imperfectly formed

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Obviously not stating the above was used without permission, however just pointing out how easy it is to get caught.

#48 jamesosix

jamesosix

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

For £149 per month, Shutterstock allow you to download 25 images a day and the licence includes most commercial usage. It works out about 750 images, and 750 images for £149 is peanuts. Works out at about 20p each.

Yes, you probably don't want to pay £149 every month, but you could just take it out for one month, download your 750 images, and have a bank of 750 images you can use for future projects.

That is decent value, no doubt about it, but personally that is well out of my scope of affordability. I also wouldnt need that amount of images on a yearly basis, nevermind a monthly basis.

Maybe a pay-as-you-go kind of service? Obviously I know I would end up paying a bit more, on a per image basis, but such is the way when you are not earning a decent profit from your work.

#49 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Small but imperfectly formed

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

You mentioned that you do a lot of work for car sales places.
Have you not thought about nipping down one day to the clients place and taking a bunch of images that you could re-use? You'd save yourself a lot of money and time in the long run. If you don't have a camera then even hiring one would work out cheaper than a subscription to a stock site.

If you're like me, useless with a camera, do what i do and get a mate who's good and sort him a few pints in return for a bit of snapping.

#50 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

Available for custom WordPress work

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Maybe a pay-as-you-go kind of service? Obviously I know I would end up paying a bit more, on a per image basis, but such is the way when you are not earning a decent profit from your work.

Reflexstock microprice images work out to about 71p per image. You'd have to buy £20 credit at a time, but that's easy to work into a quote.

#51 jamesosix

jamesosix

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

Reflexstock.

Thanks, their microprice option probably would be my best bet. Will look into that further. Cheers :)

You mentioned that you do a lot of work for car sales places.
Have you not thought about nipping down one day to the clients place and taking a bunch of images that you could re-use? You'd save yourself a lot of money and time in the long run. If you don't have a camera then even hiring one would work out cheaper than a subscription to a stock site.

If you're like me, useless with a camera, do what i do and get a mate who's good and sort him a few pints in return for a bit of snapping.

They are national based, and the work is for the company I work for, and they would never allow me to do that. I see your point though. Plus I prefer images that have more to them, than just a picture of x car on x forecourt. Hmm.

@Renaissance-Design yeah, i had a quick glance, and that would be the best bet, again thanks :)

Edited by jamesosix, 16 March 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#52 Spitfire

Spitfire

Mighty Pirate™

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Reflexstock.

PhotoDune is quite good as well.

#53 4colourprogress

4colourprogress

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Beginner

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yeah PhotoDune hasn't been around long and the Envato people often have deals where they sell massive amounts of stuff for like $25 so that's worth checking out too.

#54 jamesosix

jamesosix

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

PhotoDune is quite good as well.

I love ENVATO stores. I'll look into photodune, but they seem a bit more expensive than Reflexstock. Hmm. We will see. Depends on the next job, and what they need/want/willing to pay for.

Thanks again Spitfire :)

Yeah PhotoDune hasn't been around long and the Envato people often have deals where they sell massive amounts of stuff for like $25 so that's worth checking out too.

Yeah I seen one of those deals recently it included wp themes, icons, and images. Next time i see something similar I'll get on it, if costs allow.

Edited by jamesosix, 16 March 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#55 evu

evu

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Don't you just love happy endings :)

#56 jamesosix

jamesosix

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Don't you just love happy endings :)

Sometimes :p

I see the point people are making. No harm in owning up to ones mistakes. When I'm wrong i'll be the first to take responsibility and hold my hand up :)

#57 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Posted Image

#58 jamesosix

jamesosix

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Posted Image

hope you paid for that :p

#59 djadams

djadams

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

A limited 35 free images here, so if you only need 20, you'll be fine. And you can choose your downloads from a million images which is a plus: http://ingimage.com/
A found them on this post which gives you an idea of the selection http://www.onextrapi...e-stock-photos/

Fishing lure gives 155 results, dunno if it's what you're looking for though...

#60 mistatall

mistatall

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I have another situation regarding images and I'd like some guidance.

I'm making a post where I showoff some "fishing things you don't see everyday" which will have 15 or so images I've found and think are pretty amusing/funny.

The problem is I have no idea where the original credits should go to with these images. They seem lost on the net and difficult to find the source of. The pages I have found the images on have some disclaimer that says, "I did not take these images"--so they have been scraped before and many sites have the images. These images are not professional and look like joe-schmoes came across these odd situations while fishing and snapped a photo.

I think its a great post and my game plan would be to note that I did not take the pictures and I'll invite the authors of the photos to email me and I will take them down or pay to purchase them.

What would you do?

#61 jamesosix

jamesosix

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

I have another situation regarding images and I'd like some guidance.

I'm making a post where I showoff some "fishing things you don't see everyday" which will have 15 or so images I've found and think are pretty amusing/funny.

The problem is I have no idea where the original credits should go to with these images. They seem lost on the net and difficult to find the source of. The pages I have found the images on have some disclaimer that says, "I did not take these images"--so they have been scraped before and many sites have the images. These images are not professional and look like joe-schmoes came across these odd situations while fishing and snapped a photo.

I think its a great post and my game plan would be to note that I did not take the pictures and I'll invite the authors of the photos to email me and I will take them down or pay to purchase them.

What would you do?

i think that sounds a pretty solid solution tbh. If you invite the orginal author(s) to get in touch, then what more can you do?

I would wait and see what others think first though. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users