MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Another pet hate of mine - naked wrestling.

They guys are usually hairy and overweight.

#42 funsella

funsella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Oh how I hate it when I go to a page on a website and all it has is "coming soon" or "still being developed" really!! why not just put "I am toooo lazy to take this page out till its ready."

Oh and Web designers and developers that have 1 or 2 projects and several empty squares that says "your website here" or "coming soon". really not cool.

Oh oh oh and the how I rate my skills bar. I think I am awesome at JavaScript and PHP because I have used a nevo slider and set up a Wordpress blog.

Wow feels good to get that off my chest and out in the open.

Oh and people that put their own website in their portfolio ... really thanks for pointing that out I wasn't sure if you actually did make your own site...

#43 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Small but imperfectly formed

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

... really thanks for pointing that out I wasn't sure if you actually did make your own site...

You'd be surprised how many people post on here asking for a review of their new portfolio site just for us to full well know it's a themeforest template.

#44 funsella

funsella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

You'd be surprised how many people post on here asking for a review of their new portfolio site just for us to full well know it's a themeforest template.

I have noticed that before ... must say I love ready the comments on those threads :D

But seriously who do think they fooling!!!! (besides the unaware "clients" that they show -- Ohhh look at what I can do)

#45 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Or clients who ask for a static site. You build it.

BUT WAIT

Now they want a CMS.

Then they want e-commerce.

Then they ask you to setup their social media for them.

Then you stick a rusty nail in their forehead.

#46 funsella

funsella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Or clients who ask for a static site. You build it.

BUT WAIT

Now they want a CMS.

Then they want e-commerce.

Then they ask you to setup their social media for them.

Then you stick a rusty nail in their forehead.

LMFAO!!!

#47 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

Available for custom WordPress work

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

OK i know it's not directly web design based and more client hate but... i hate clients that want me to build in the option of being able to change their body font themselves.
I can't ever imagine a good use for this.

This. Font selection is part of the design, which is the expertise they're paying you for.

#48 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Which is why it rattles me some-what.

#49 porkchops

porkchops

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

This. Font selection is part of the design, which is the expertise they're paying you for.

Aye, this would be a red flag in my book.

#50 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's just frustrating altogether when clients hire you then seem to not really understand what it is you actually do.

They just seem to assume that because you built their site, you're responsible for:

- Their logo.
- SEO and marketing.
- Hosting/Email.
- Social Media.
- Ecommerce.
- Flyers, print material.
- General IT (you built a website so you must be an Excel expert too, right?)

I mean sure, it's not that I wouldn't mind doing some of that, but it doesn't come into the remit of the job of designing and making a website.

Not in my books anyway, unless previously agreed and contracted.

Just this week I had an ex-client ask me why the site I made for them isn't page one on Google.

Edited by brightonmike, 01 March 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#51 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

The print design one really gets me. Sooo many clients just drop you an email asking if you can send them over something they can use as a business card.

#52 Gibson

Gibson

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

There's a lot of things that annoy me. One of the biggest is average/crap web design propped up by incredible photography, not taken by the person who built the site.

People look at a template and think it's brilliant, but the reality is remove the images and it's nonsense.

This.

So many people I know point out sites to me, raving about how good looking they are, where in actual fact the site consists of a few rectangles with photos in them. Whip them out, and you're left with something that looks like it was designed in 1993.

I have actually had the "Can you move it up by a bit" - a week later "Can you move it to the right by a bit" - a week later "Can you move it down a bit" and a week later "Can you move it to the left a bit" - and then "Yeah that looks much better". The object is in the same place it was originally.

#53 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have actually had the "Can you move it up by a bit" - a week later "Can you move it to the right by a bit" - a week later "Can you move it down a bit" and a week later "Can you move it to the left a bit" - and then "Yeah that looks much better". The object is in the same place it was originally.

Don't get me started!
Many times i've had the "Can you nudge it a bit left and thin it a bit" and i've just emailed them back saying "All done". When in actual fact i've done naff all :p

#54 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Of course, there's always the dreaded "I'd like to have something similar to eBay, I have 200 to spend".

#55 porkchops

porkchops

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

The print design one really gets me. Sooo many clients just drop you an email asking if you can send them over something they can use as a business card.

Aye, I've been there. I think a lot of clients just don't appreciate that all of these various things we do take time, and therefore cost money. Or, people just don't appreciate the value we add to everything.

#56 Makeuptor

Makeuptor

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

I hate sites where there are few frames and each of them has their own scroll bar.
And I hate horizontal scroll too when you need to use it left-right-left-rigdht for every new string...

For internet shop when you want to see bigger picture, click for small one and have one more in THE SAME size in new window....

#57 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

For internet shop when you want to see bigger picture, click for small one and have one more in THE SAME size in new window....

Haha yep that one does me in too!

#58 zed

zed

not a mod

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Of course, there's always the dreaded "I'd like to have something similar to eBay, I have 200 to spend".

that much?! They'd want a full blown social experience thrown in as well....but I can't say too much about it as it's hush hush and I don't want anyone to steal the idea.

oh, another, a page where you list your CEO's and staff...who don't exist nor do your offices except in a picture.

#59 porkchops

porkchops

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hahah, I think this thread has turned into a "Client Behavior that angers you" thread.

Not that I'm complaining... :)

#60 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yes, but once their apps make a bundle of money they'll easily be able to afford to revolutionize social media. H'mmm, that sounds familiar...

#61 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

*Cough*

#62 zed

zed

not a mod

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

I don't know who you are talking about ;)

#63 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

SO MUCH RAGE

#64 D.Schuster

D.Schuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Well after reading this thread......I feel strangely hated and insecure, thank you WDF you always do wonders for my ego.

things I hate.

that web designers do:
  • Animated gifs in 16bit colours all over the site
  • papyrus and comic sans
  • embeded hidden audio without anyway of turning it off
  • **** brown and sewer green
  • blue and magenta colour scheems
  • changing my cursor

that clients do:
  • I heard websites can be made for free
  • I'll pay you after I get rich from my website
  • can you make me a full CMS website for 200
  • I R CLIENT I can DEMAND ****ty design
  • Getting X Y people involved (co-workers, friends, spouse, mum, dog)

#65 Gibson

Gibson

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

No offence because I know that some people on here do this but language wise - overuse of the word "passionate" really gets my goat for some reason - "We are passionate about building websites". Ok, let's chuck "bespoke" in as well - "We are passionate about producing bespoke websites". Sometimes the word "fantastic" makes me cringe as well.

I say this half tongue in cheek because

1 : As I say I know some of us use these things, so again, no offence intended. In fact I've probably used this wording, or similar on a site before. Let's face it - we do what we think will work, customer-facing wise, right?

2 : As far as web design goes, if we're cutting ourselves a break, it's like playing the blues or rock n roll - we really are limited framework-wise. It usually turns out to be logo in the top left, nav bar, content section, footer - if we attempt to go wild and break the mould, then sometimes it works but most times it renders the site less user-friendly. I guess that's the challenge "design" wise - to produce something "custom" yet within the fairly heavy restrictions we have visual heirarchy-wise.

Stock photography of inconceivably handsome businessmen in suits also annoys me - we know these particular people don't work at your company, and actually it's a bunch of fat sweaty guys in cheap ill-fitting suits munching Subway sandwiches and dripping the barbeque sauce on their cheapo Dell keyboards.

Edited by Gibson, 01 March 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#66 Gibson

Gibson

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

On the Comic-sans point. It does actually have a place, for example my 7 year old niece was playing "Moshi Monsters" the other day which I thought was well cute. It appears that the comic sans works well for the childrens sites, some of which are very well put together.
Also, I believe the Sims uses comic sans to great atmospheric effect.
So I don't think we should discard Comic Sans altogether - it just has to be used appropriately, which is not all that often, admittedly.

Edited by Gibson, 01 March 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#67 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

The problem with Comic Sans, like any other font, is not the font itself but the way it's been so horribly mis-used and abused.

It was only ever intended to be used for fun things and for children - and in those respects, it is fine.

I suspect what happened is it leached out of the classroom, where it should have stayed, and into adult life. In effect, I am blaming teachers.

Also like a lot of fonts that are decorative, it should almost never be used for copy.

#68 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I suspect what happened is it leached out of the classroom, where it should have stayed, and into adult life. In effect, I am blaming teachers.

I hate it when schools send letters to parents (or publish anything else for adults) in Comic Sans.

Edited by Renaissance-Design, 01 March 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#69 porkchops

porkchops

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Sure, there are plenty of places where Comic Sans is misused, and that is one reason why people hate it. See http://comicsanscriminal.com/

The other reason is that it's a very poorly designed typeface. There are letter pairings that look really awkward and overall it looks very amateurish. There are a bunch of great Comic or casual handwritten fonts that would be a wonderful substitution, but people always go to Comic Sans because of how prolific it is.

If you download or use Balsamiq, the default handwritten font there used to be Comic sans, but they replaced it with a wonderful handwritten font with balanced letter forms and excellent pairings throughout the alphabet.

Edited by porkchops, 01 March 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#70 kree8or

kree8or

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

I met with a Potential client once, the pre-meeting brief was that she wanted a static site, she had all the imagary,copy and just needed to put it all together.
So I meet her and suddenly the goal posts have changed. A)she needed a logo B)She needed the copy proof read and taliored for the site and C) Wanted a custom , bespoke CMS to run the site. And her budget? 200. I carefully explained that for all her features she was looking at 10 times that money, she then called me a rip off merchant and stormed off. 24 hours later I get a email apologising and offering 250.....

#71 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

After buying the cheapest possible website they could squeeze out of you, then asking the question, "why are we not on the first page of Google?".

Buying an Ecommerce solution then asking if they can pay once it's made some money. :rolleyes:

Edited by MMMedia, 02 March 2012 - 12:40 AM.

#72 D.Schuster

D.Schuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

After buying the cheapest possible website they could squeeze out of you, then asking the question, "why are we not on the first page of Google?".

Buying an Ecommerce solution then asking if they can pay once it's made some money. :rolleyes:

haha yes, that's the worst, especially if they hold you responsible for it or better yet want to.

Don't know if this is related, once an old friend from school called me up(we never spoke that much so I knew he needed something)

He tells me his friend is starting a company, a building company or whatever you call them and he needed a website so he wondered if we could meet for coffee, naturally I wasn't willing to drive the 30km for someone who may or may not want my services, but I didn't have a client in weeks so it was a must.

I arrive on time his friend was 1h late and when he came he was about the same age as me bit younger, his first question, so I heard websites can be made for free is that so?

my answer "well no, are you willing to build me a house for free?"

anyway long story short he kept on asking stupid questions for 30min, I ended up paying for the drinks and he never called back.

p.s my final price was 150-200 so I went as low as possible.

#73 tonychang

tonychang

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Script fonts in All Caps

#74 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Why does everybody hate me? :'(

And me!

Edited by brightonmike, 02 March 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#75 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Why does everybody hate me? :'(

Your face...

#76 Wickham

Wickham

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

On the Comic-sans point. It does actually have a place, for example my 7 year old niece was playing "Moshi Monsters" the other day which I thought was well cute. It appears that the comic sans works well for the childrens sites, some of which are very well put together.
Also, I believe the Sims uses comic sans to great atmospheric effect.
So I don't think we should discard Comic Sans altogether - it just has to be used appropriately, which is not all that often, admittedly.

That's why my profile page (url in my signature), one of my oldest pages, is the only one still using Comic Sans Sans - and it's aimed at children, what a coincidence!

#77 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

...and what an interesting story to boot!

#78 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Every single element in Twenty Eleven.

#79 CSN-UK

CSN-UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Web design wise:

• Overuse of jQuery and JavaScript/Ajax in general when completely unnecessary... especially when used vs their CSS alternative solutions.
  • Capatcha... more trouble than it's worth in most cases

Client wise:

The know it all client that is an IT genius :flm7: and has tried everything under the sun (supposedly),
  • Client: "I can't get x to work."
  • Staff: "have you tried x,y,z?"
  • Client: "yes, yes, yes but it's not working"
  • Staff: "just follow these steps with me now... to set x,y,z"
  • Client: "oh its working... it dident do that earlier"
  • Staff: ".......Great, is there anything else I can help you with?"

Cant say I'm not one of these at times mind ;) but generally I tend to try everything under the sun twice before asking... :p

Edited by CSN-UK, 02 March 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#80 whyelse

whyelse

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

On centre aligned text if you use it right it can work like alot of things

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users