• PipPip
  • 228 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi Guys

I switched my website and emails over to Heart Internet VPS from a managed VPS emails and everything and ever since i have my emails are playing up.

I have set them up on the new server and put the details they provided into my mac mail, iphone 4s and ipad 2 and get the same error on all three.. when downloading the mail from the server i get the mailserver domain.com is not responding when i use IMAP

i have switched it to mail.domain.com / domain.com and thee outgoing i have tried smtp.domain.com & mail.domain.com but i keep getting the same error. I have alo tried using SSL on them with the same errors.

POP seems to be OK but I need the functionality of IMAP

----
Server details:

Operating system CentOS 6 & Plesk

CPU Cores 2 cores
RAM 2GB
HDD 50GB

Blackfoot Hosting

#2 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,467 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Have you submitted a support ticket to Heart?

#3 Martin Greenwood

Martin Greenwood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Yes they advised me the cannot help as the VPS is sold as unmanaged...

#4 MH-Nick

MH-Nick

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:System Administrator

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Is there a control panel on the VPS? What's one of the domains on the server?

#5 Martin Greenwood

Martin Greenwood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yeah I chose to use plesk and one of the domains is naturalgleam.co.uk and also martin-Greenwood.co.uk

#6 Martin Greenwood

Martin Greenwood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

Will it make a difference if I have the nameservers for all the domains set to heart internets default?

I had a thought that if I create independent nameservers for each domain then set the corresponding domains nameservers to the relevant ones this would then use the dns setting for the VPS...and thus in theory make the mail server work correct and not give me errors...

Does anyone else think this will work?

#7 AdvantageDigitalMedia

AdvantageDigitalMedia

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Will it make a difference if I have the nameservers for all the domains set to heart internets default?

I had a thought that if I create independent nameservers for each domain then set the corresponding domains nameservers to the relevant ones this would then use the dns setting for the VPS...and thus in theory make the mail server work correct and not give me errors...

Does anyone else think this will work?

I've never used a Heart Internet VPS server but have several of my own unmanaged dedicated servers so hopefully I can help.

Both of those domains have mail. prefixes setup for MX records, so I assume these are the domains you are using to connect with your mail client. What server software does the VPS come with, is it Plesk, cPanel etc or just a command line? Also have you actually registered the martin-greenwood.co.uk nameservers as proper nameservers for the server? If you haven't associated those nameservers correctly your DNS won't be functioning correctly.

The good news is both mail.martin-greenwood.co.uk and mail.naturalgleam.co.uk resolve and are functioning on the correct IMAP port (143).

Cheers

#8 adamo

adamo

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Heart Internet are terrible, I've seen so many negative posts on here about them. I have a VPS with WebHostingBuzz and they helped me out with email setup as I wasn't 100% sure of a few of the details.

Hope you get it sorted.

#9 rallport

rallport

Web God

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Heart Internet are terrible, I've seen so many negative posts on here about them. I have a VPS with WebHostingBuzz and they helped me out with email setup as I wasn't 100% sure of a few of the details.

Hope you get it sorted.

I guess to be fair to Heart Internet, if a VPS has been sold as unmanaged they don't have to help at all technically. As long as the server is up and available, Heart wouldn't care. However, it seems a little harsh they wouldn;t help with something like email setup, even for an unmanaged server. 

Have you read their help guides - I mean even Godaddy has a bif PDF you can download that explains all the DNS settings for your VPS?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users