LuluG

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

I am putting together a small, static website for a creative group I am involved with as a showcase for our work, and to interest new members. I hope to test the site live in the new year and have been reading up about domain names. I understand what all the top and second level domain names means such as .com and .org.uk.

However, I don't really understand the real benefits or disbenefits of going for one over another, ie .co.uk as opposed to .org or .org.uk etc. The most obvious difference I can see is that .co.uk is cheaper than .org and .com. I have checked other, similar groups across the country and they all have different top and second level domain names so that didn't help.

Can anyone help me out here?

Many thanks.

#2 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

Available for custom WordPress work

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

.org is generally for non-profits and charitable enterprises. If you're UK-based you should be looking at a .uk TLD whether it's .co.uk or .org.uk. If you're global, go for .com or .org.

#3 LuluG

LuluG

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

.org is generally for non-profits and charitable enterprises. If you're UK-based you should be looking at a .uk TLD whether it's .co.uk or .org.uk. If you're global, go for .com or .org.

Hi, and thanks for getting back to me. We are definitely UK based. What are the benefits of going with a .uk TLD?

#4 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design

Available for custom WordPress work

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

It's a signal to Google that you're UK-based, so (in combination with hosting in the UK) it'll give you a boost in google.co.uk-based searches.

#5 LuluG

LuluG

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Thanks again! I'll go for a .uk TLD We are probably somewhere between non profit and commercial. Is there by any benefit in going for .org.uk over .co.uk?

#6 WBC

WBC

Web Slinger

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

For that one think about your target audience, in most cases they will be more familiar with .co.uk, if you go with .org.uk and another business takes the .co.uk they could potentially steal your custom.

#7 LuluG

LuluG

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks. We don't really sell much, except at exhibitions. The site is more to showcase our work and draw new members. That said, I think .co.uk is more well known. Does it affect the order of search results at all?

#8 jsherry

jsherry

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

You are right Renaissance-Design
I agree with you explanation. If you're global, go for .com or .org and its the best if you opt for it.

#9 madelinekim

madelinekim

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Above information is really very nice and informative to know about different TLDs. The differences is that people can get various results from different TLDs. If any person want to seach particular item in particular country than they can use different TLDs to search.

Edited by madelinekim, 10 April 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#10 Rizrak

Rizrak

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

Above information is really very nice and informative to know about different TLDs. The differences is that people can get various results from different TLDs. If any person want to seach particular item in particular country than they can use different TLDs to search.

Yes i agree with you , people can get various results from different TLDs. .co.uk commercial UK website that is every country is assigned one TLD like .uk .,.org and .com are top level domain TLDs for worldwide .com web site addresses is for those publishers out to make some kind of profit through their Internet services,.org is for website that related to an organization.You can get these domain registration from a good domain registrars like TheWebPole.com at low price.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users