• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

I have a problem which I'm sure some people may have encountered, but I need to find a solution.

I have the 'Home Package' with 1and1.co.uk which includes web hosting, emails, domain etc etc. The problem is the way the 1and1 sets your account up so basically your first domain (In my case visionandimpact.co.uk) will be the default domain so any other domains your purchase will be add-on domains for which you have to redirect these using subfolders.

Now this generates the problem where the URL for each of my domains show under my default one in the status bar.

So for example;

visionandimpact.co.uk [default]
craigsmithcreative.co.uk [add on domain]

But I want my pages and files from my add on domains to show from their own address. So it should show like this; "www.craigsmithcreative.co.uk/about" rather then my subdirectoy of "www.visionandimpact.co.uk/craigsmithcreative/about"

The only piece of useful information I have found is Here But this means i have to swap all my folders and files around, make my own default.asp file and custom error pages and is a long arse way of doing it.

So much so I'm thinking of swapping hosts to achieve what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Blackfoot Hosting

#2 UK Web hosting

UK Web hosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have a problem which I'm sure some people may have encountered, but I need to find a solution.

I have the 'Home Package' with 1and1.co.uk which includes web hosting, emails, domain etc etc. The problem is the way the 1and1 sets your account up so basically your first domain (In my case visionandimpact.co.uk) will be the default domain so any other domains your purchase will be add-on domains for which you have to redirect these using subfolders.

Now this generates the problem where the URL for each of my domains show under my default one in the status bar.

So for example;

But I want my pages and files from my add on domains to show from their own address. So it should show like this; "www.craigsmithcreative.co.uk/about" rather then my subdirectoy of "www.visionandimpact.co.uk/craigsmithcreative/about"

The only piece of useful information I have found is Here But this means i have to swap all my folders and files around, make my own default.asp file and custom error pages and is a long arse way of doing it.

So much so I'm thinking of swapping hosts to achieve what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Shared hosting with addon will work the way you are presently getting. If you wish each domain to be presented separately, Best is go for reseller Hosting package with Cpanel. With admin WHM panel you will be able to create different default cpanel accounts for both

visionandimpact.co.uk [will be main reseller account with WHM admin access + its own separate cpanel account to manage emails,files and database]

craigsmithcreative.co.uk [Will we small shared Cpanel account with its own username and password to manage all its files and database separately under your main reseller account]

This is what you want I guess.

#3 wesh.co.uk

wesh.co.uk

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hiya Smuj

What your after is "addon domains" that show seperately, and not as directories of your primary domain name.
cpanel hosting does do this correctly, the way your wanting it to. If you have:

Both will work from their own web addresses, but, you can ALSO access secondary doains using the addon domains directory within your primary domains account... So...

craigsmithcreative.co.uk [add on domain] is also accessible via: visionandimpact.co.uk/craigsmithcreative.co.uk (If you wanted it to be) but nobody ever uses that, as the full address of each works fine.

All of our cpanel packages do that no problem, you can put up to 11 websites into 1 cpanel for 4 a month...
As for the 1&1 problems, the best people to ask is 1&1 themselves. Few people like them and fewer are able to talk to them..

#4 SmuJ

SmuJ

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

Thank you for the replies.

...If you wish each domain to be presented separately, Best is go for reseller Hosting package with Cpanel. With admin WHM panel you will be able to create different default cpanel accounts for both...

Yes, I do wish for each domain to be presented seperately.

So would you both agree that my best option is to go for "reseller Hosting package with Cpanel. With admin WHM panel"??

If so can you point me to some packages that do this specifically?

#5 UK Web hosting

UK Web hosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hello,

We can help you setup reseller package with WHM with us, you can take a look at our reseller packages at : Reseller Hosting

You can even contact our livechat support if you require any help.

Account setup will be done in 20 minutes and site transfer in next couple of hours.

#6 JonathanM

JonathanM

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi Uk Web hosting.

Can I ask what does mean "Fully managed VPS server" in your website? Is it managed by you so I dont have to know too much of a technical side and if there are any problems I can just inform you about it and trust it will get fixed?

I am looking for a new provider where I can set up web hotels and related services for my current and new clients. It should be easy enough for me to administer and I would like to have support/management for any questions or problems. Now I am on a shared hosting reseller plan, but it begins to be little slow and further more I can not run Magento there due to the greater memory requirement. I heared that VPS or dedicated server would be faster and have more memory.

Now I use parallels Pro control panel and there seems to be export/import option. Would it be possible to transfer all my sites in one export to different providers server?

#7 UK Web hosting

UK Web hosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hi Uk Web hosting.

Can I ask what does mean "Fully managed VPS server" in your website? Is it managed by you so I dont have to know too much of a technical side and if there are any problems I can just inform you about it and trust it will get fixed?

>>> Yes thats correct fully managed VPS will be monitored and managed by our support staff regarding any support or upgrade issue. We also do proactive actives to keep VPS secure.

I am looking for a new provider where I can set up web hotels and related services for my current and new clients. It should be easy enough for me to administer and I would like to have support/management for any questions or problems. Now I am on a shared hosting reseller plan, but it begins to be little slow and further more I can not run Magento there due to the greater memory requirement. I heared that VPS or dedicated server would be faster and have more memory.

>>>> Yes that correct Magento store require dedicated resources , shared hosting package wont give that performance as you will get on VPS Server. I will also suggest you to go for VPS server if you wish to go for Magento store Hosting.

Now I use parallels Pro control panel and there seems to be export/import option. Would it be possible to transfer all my sites in one export to different providers server?

Yes we can transfer you site files and database in this case you just need to provide your Control panel login details. As its not Cpanel email will be a bit trick I guess.

#8 SmuJ

SmuJ

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thanks UK Web hosting. I have registered to your website, and have looked through the package suggested. It looks pretty good to me. The only thing I'm concered about now, which is a little off the topic but with this package can I host e-shops?

#9 UK Web hosting

UK Web hosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Thanks UK Web hosting. I have registered to your website, and have looked through the package suggested. It looks pretty good to me. The only thing I'm concered about now, which is a little off the topic but with this package can I host e-shops?

Yes you can host ecommerce site.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users