Sinero Web Design

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

Has anyone seen the prices Yell.com are charging there customers for a basic html page with no layout or design ? well its a minimum of 400 a year ! I know this company has to make a profit but charging these prices is ridiculous.

Here is an example :

http://www.lancashiredevelopments.co.uk

I spoke to someone who pays the bill for this website and they are being charged around 600-800 per year for this website ! as you can imagine it makes us developers really angry when we can knock up a professional design for half this price and produce a website with some function and graphics.

I really think yell.com is struggling to keep its head above the water as more and more people use Google to find businesses I really doubt many people read the Yellow Pages these days so the only way they can make good profits is by charging extortionate rates for a website that was built in 5 minutes...

Also they are charging 45.00 Plus VAT for a domain name that we all know cost's us 6.00 to purchase.

Shame on you yell.com ...

Prices

http://www.yelldirec...bsite/home.html

#2 Chris@nbatDigital

Chris@nbatDigital

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

Yell.com has gone down a very steep hill over the last year! So many bad reviews off their services, and false sales pitches.

As you have said, I don't think they will be around in 5 years to come.

#3 HogIT

HogIT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

I have had frequent discussions with their sales staff trying to sell me a paid link on their site.

Now I would never dream of using yell.com to search for anything .... does anybody actually use it?

If not the only possible benefit would be a link to your site for seo benefits.

#4 andy9l

andy9l

White space enthusiast

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Now I would never dream of using yell.com to search for anything .... does anybody actually use it?

Due to the subject of this topic, it makes it easy for freelancers to use it to find businesses and individuals who have these 'naff' websites and offer their service :good:

Other than that, I hate it.

#5 Garethev

Garethev

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

To be fair i bought one of these recently on the recommendation of a friend.

Yes...they are basic but ......yes they are effective.

Honestly....i have paid for it with a few calls but its not the AMAZING site i plan for but it will do
until i can afford a better one.

#6 user-removed

user-removed

Forum Newcomer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Has anyone seen the prices Yell.com are charging there customers for a basic html page with no layout or design ? well its a minimum of 400 a year ! I know this company has to make a profit but charging these prices is ridiculous.

Here is an example :

http://www.lancashiredevelopments.co.uk

I spoke to someone who pays the bill for this website and they are being charged around 600-800 per year for this website ! as you can imagine it makes us developers really angry when we can knock up a professional design for half this price and produce a website with some function and graphics.

I really think yell.com is struggling to keep its head above the water as more and more people use Google to find businesses I really doubt many people read the Yellow Pages these days so the only way they can make good profits is by charging extortionate rates for a website that was built in 5 minutes...

Also they are charging 45.00 Plus VAT for a domain name that we all know cost's us 6.00 to purchase.

Shame on you yell.com ...

Prices

http://www.yelldirec...bsite/home.html

Urgh.

For 400, that website is pretty damn good. It really is. It's fairly decent to look at, the frontend code looks solid, and it conveys all the necessary information effectively.

It is by no means cutting edge. It has rough edges. It could be a LOT better.

But for 400 there is really little to complain about. I am staggered that on the basis of that example, you think that price was unreasonable.

If you are only willing to pay 400, you will get 400 worth of website. Which is what that website is.

If you are willing to knock up an identical website for half the price, 200/300, personally I believe it is you who has the wrong business model - not Yell.

I am not commenting on their business practise, which may well be questionable, I am simply remarking that for 400 that website you posted punches fairly above its weight.

#7 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

If you are willing to knock up an identical website for half the price, 200/300, personally I believe it is you who has the wrong business model - not Yell.

Agreed, many times over!

#8 Bomb

Bomb

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Urgh.

For 400, that website is pretty damn good. It really is. It's fairly decent to look at, the frontend code looks solid, and it conveys all the necessary information effectively.

It is by no means cutting edge. It has rough edges. It could be a LOT better.

But for 400 there is really little to complain about. I am staggered that on the basis of that example, you think that price was unreasonable.

If you are only willing to pay 400, you will get 400 worth of website. Which is what that website is.

I am not commenting on their business practise, which may well be questionable, I am simply remarking that for 400 that website you posted punches fairly above its weight.

He said that site cost 600-800 a year!!

#9 Sogo7

Sogo7

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

A pitch of 400 is actually quite shrewd, BT Business has ther own web design service and something similiar will set you back 600+vat.

However the fine print makes for interesting reading...
http://www.websites....-bt-website-b#2

#10 rallport

rallport

Laravel 5 Rocks

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

To be fair i bought one of these recently on the recommendation of a friend.

Yes...they are basic but ......yes they are effective.

Honestly....i have paid for it with a few calls but its not the AMAZING site i plan for but it will do
until i can afford a better one.

Yay, Mr Yell.com employee returns.

#11 rallport

rallport

Laravel 5 Rocks

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

First off, you may want to have a rethink of the title [retrospective self, silent lol] :)

As far as yell go, I agree with andyl.

If Yell.com websites want to charge a lot then that;s their option, but eventually, people will get wise to it and move on.

However, those customers that do choose to stay with yell.com - well I get Yell are laughing at being several hundred pounds per year to host a static site.

Just out of interest, why does it says "Bolton Web Design" for the credit in the footer? Are Yell outsourcing these sites to other web companies? *confused*

#12 Zapdos

Zapdos

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

This Yell company is a bunch of shysters and a half isn't it! I got a call asking if I wanted free advertising...blah blah. So I got hooked in a little and the guy went through setting up my 'free' profile on yell.com. Then he says so how much are you looking to pay...blah blah 400 pounds blah blah... Now I am thinking no thank you pal - I made it clear I didn't want to pay anything and was quite happy with the business I already had. He wouldn't let it drop and every answer I gave he would try and find a way around it. Then he called me back a few times..

Honestly I can't stand these sort of people.. Never mind the company. The people that try and sell these things are utter snakes and they have no honor whatsoever. You just need to be wise enough to slam the phone down before they can 'silvertongue' you.

#13 dougie_bulldogbackup

dougie_bulldogbackup

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

There are a few companies offering this type of service with BT, Yell and Talk Talk being the most notable.

I wholeheartedly agree that paying 400 per year for a website such as this is over the odds given that the site owner may use the site for 2-5 years. Not to mention the trouble you would most likley have to transfer your site or domain to another provider in future. But I think it shows that there is a trick to be had for web designers in that with a reseller hosting account you could offer a very similar service with what would be in my opinion a better designed site.

Now I'm not saying this is the right way to do things just that the consumer, especially first time website buyers, obviously see some attraction in this type of deal.

Is it that the consumer is would rather pay 400 per year indefinitely over paying 1500 in one lump sum? If they are and it increases sales then why not?

#14 rallport

rallport

Laravel 5 Rocks

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

I actually got asked by a client to prove that Yell's Web Designs use templates. I came up with a random method on the spot to demonstrate that Yellsites do in fact use templates :)

Again, nowt wrong with it as they're clearly pitching at a different niche. How successful one thier sites would actually be is another story in my opinion.

#15 Anee

Anee

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

I got a call from a yell person, a year ago.
They offer $400/year for List my business on top and highlight it or sticky listing on every page - ( or something like that, thats the option ).
And they didnt offer the site with a domain. its a subdirectory under the yell.com.
I didnt got any deals from the add. but the site came 1st on the google. May be their main domains value.

#16 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Spot the difference:

http://www.stlservicecentre.co.uk/
http://www.japsautop...scotland.co.uk/

£468 for the first year (£150 setup fee + £20 per month +vat) and then £288 every year thereafter, minimum contract term 12 months... for the above crap!

#17 rallport

rallport

Laravel 5 Rocks

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Spot the difference:

http://www.stlservicecentre.co.uk/
http://www.japsautop...scotland.co.uk/

£468 for the first year (£150 setup fee + £20 per month +vat) and then £288 every year thereafter, minimum contract term 12 months... for the above crap!

Have read of the method I came up with to find examples like that - http://www.web-desig...-design-review/ - I even got someone from Yell.com reply ;)

#18 MMMedia

MMMedia

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Have read of the method I came up with to find examples like that - http://www.web-desig...-design-review/ - I even got someone from Yell.com reply ;)

+1 for that and +1 for kevster too... what a muppet!

#19 Exascale

Exascale

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Who is going to want to advertise in a paper book these days? Plus they try to sell you a premium advert on their website? Would your customers not just use Google?

#20 rallport

rallport

Laravel 5 Rocks

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Who is going to want to advertise in a paper book these days? Plus they try to sell you a premium advert on their website? Would your customers not just use Google?

I'm sure their advertising works for some businesses and people, but in close to 2.5 years I've not come across a single person who has gotten anything back near what they paid for yell advertising. Most say they spent x hundred or x thousands of pounds for a couple of random enquiries. To me, it's just another big overcrowded and definately oversold, online directory, nothing more or less.Good luck to people who have got their monies worth, but I've not yet come across a single person with a good thing to say about it.

#21 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Small but imperfectly formed

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Ha good little read there Rob.

Extra kudos to 'kevster' for being so clueless!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users