• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

I am looking for suggestions on good Graphics software for beginners. What would be a program that has some ease of use and is not too dfficult to learn to make at least the most basic images.

Blackfoot Hosting

#2 Eskymo

Eskymo

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

Depends on what you want to do and what you're going to produce in the end - are you designing fro Print or for Screen.

Fireworks is very easy to learn, and I use it for website design as that's what it's there for. Photoshop on the other hand is more advanced and offers scope for both Print and Screen design. I only use it for image manipulation as I haven't got time to learn how to use it for other stuff.

I also use Illustrator as I find it's similar to Fireworks in many ways, but I use this just for print design and text effects I can't achieve in Fireworks. I also often illustrate stuff for export into Flash.

Flash is also a great program as it's very easy to draw stuff in.

I'm sure other folk will offer other suggestions. I'm just going on what I use day to day.

Depe

#3 Ceruleah

Ceruleah

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:58 AM

I like Paint Shop Pro. I'm running version 8 on my system. You can start out with very simple procedures including One Step Photo Fix and such. It can handle a lot more than that, though. It's the poor man's version of PhotoShop. LOL

#4 ozzie

ozzie

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:11 AM

I'm also a beginner and appreciate the suggestions in this thread. I've never used any of the software mentioned so far. I've been using Google's Picassa for photos and I like it pretty well. I have only learned how to edit photos with it so far.

#5 penguinmama

penguinmama

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

I like Paint Shop Pro also. It's currently put out by Corel (but originally Jasc). It does pretty much everything that Photoshop (by Adobe) can do, but is more user-friendly.

#6 fattoad

fattoad

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for your suggestions folks. I've been trying to find a simple graphics program that doesn't overwhelm me. B)

#7 paperclip

paperclip

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

It might sound silly, but you can do wonders with MS Paint believe it or not. It will get you used to dealing with graphis, and is right there on your Start menu

#8 Northern Star

Northern Star

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

Fireworks for me. But I don't dabble in print design so I don't need anything more powerful.

#9 LadyViper

LadyViper

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

I like my Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9, but I find it to be a little glitchy at times. I also use the Jasc Animation Shop, since they are both Jasc they work pretty seamlessly together.

#10 paperclip

paperclip

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

You can tell I have been away from graphics a while. I didn't know there was a PSP 9 :o I love the animation Shops. I create some coll stuff with that program

#11 JohnR

JohnR

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

GIMP. It is a pretty nice program to start with. It is some what slow. Another advantage is that it is free.

#12 paperclip

paperclip

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

GIMP. It is a pretty nice program to start with. It is some what slow. Another advantage is that it is free.

Now we're talking. No better software than free software, at least for beginners.

#13 ItsComeToThis

ItsComeToThis

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

Check out Cnet.com for their reviews on graphics software. Cnet is an excellent resource and I bet youll find what you need there, before having to invest any loot. :D

#14 Ben

Ben

Web Designer Forum Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

Agreed, Cnet.com is a great resource of News and Reviews, I often go there before buying a Gadget, as I find their opinions on products very informative as they tell you all the things you want to know, and things you quite frankly didn't want to! - But it's all good. Tops marks for this site.

Software for beginners... hmmm, Fireworks is good, it's what i started with, there's plenty of visual tutorials out there, I remember printing off my very first tutorial from www.guistuff.com as they had some great interface designs which inspired me to create my own, in fact I designed a FLash MP3 player - which landed me my very first job as a Web Designer.

:)

#15 spieler45

spieler45

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral
  • Area of Expertise:Photographer

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

I have several nice graphic programs and I will be honest here and tell you I cannot find my way through them. I wish I had a book with a glossary with the terms and what they mean. I have seen some videos online about making crystals but I was not sure what the teacher was even doing. The best thing to do is trial and error. Well that is what is working for me. At least I can make a gif now and a banner. lol

#16 Oliver

Oliver

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

Speaking from personal experience you don't want to start out with a major graphic editing software like fireworks or photoshop. Do get used to the basic functions you may want to start using GIMP or Paint Shop Pro.

#17 reviewer

reviewer

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a beginner based on cost? I would like to have some software available for this purpose.

#18 Eskymo

Eskymo

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

WDF Reputation

Excellent

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:57 PM

Speaking from personal experience you don't want to start out with a major graphic editing software like fireworks or photoshop. Do get used to the basic functions you may want to start using GIMP or Paint Shop Pro.

i totally disagree - what's the point in learning how to use software like GIMP or Paint Shop Pro and then having to move to relearn Fireworks or Photoshop - seems like a complete waste of time to me as every program is different. I would choose a program and just stick to it.

If you have no budget - get something free like GIMP - it'a apparently very good.

If you have a budget decide on what is more important for you and choose a program accordingly.

If photo manipulation and good hi res graphics for print as well as web design capabilities are an important mix then splash out on Photoshop. It's complicated and could take a lot of dedication to learn the more complex aspects of the program.

On the other hand if you want something that's easy to use, very quick to learn and is solely to design websites, then go for Fireworks - I learnt to use it in a few days, whereas I'm still struggling to understand Photoshop, years after using the first ever version of the software when I was at college to the CS version now available.

Not sure how much both programs cost, but I think Fireworks is cheaper - visit the Adobe site as you may still be able to download a 30 day trial and try it out...

#19 Taylor Phillis

Taylor Phillis

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

For beginners, Adobe Fireworks or Corel Paint Shop Pro. Adobe Fireworks is simple, Paint Shop Pro is cheap but feature-rich.

The thing with Fireworks is that its interface is changed around a bit so that while it has the functionality of a photoshop lite, if you decide to eventually drop the money for photoshop you might have to get used to new quirks. Not a big deal.

#20 MacDesign

MacDesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

I guess it's okay to start with Photoshop or Illustrator as a beginner. There's always a first time to everything and almost all designers went thru that stage at some point. There are tons of tutorials for Photoshop or illustrator that are meant for beginners. Like what Eskymo mentioned, its hard to relearn another software specially when technology changes quite fast these days.

#21 Beau

Beau

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

WDF Reputation

Neutral

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:50 AM

i suggest seltco type it in on google i started useing it and its pretty simple plus you can make animated banners if you like it pm me and ill give ya the program free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users