php_penguin

richthegeek

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Coder

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

Throughout my years of learning, I have read (and written) plenty of tutorials. Some of these are good, and some are shockingly bad.

Remember that these are just guidelines, not rules ;)

Heres a couple of pointers to stick to when writing tutorials:

* clearly define sections with larger fonts ( [ size = 3 ] , bold texts [ b ], underlines [ u ], and even page breaks [ break ]

* Explain as much as possible. Just because something is obvious to you, don't assume that it is for everyone.

* Keep it concise. I know this may seem contradictory to #2, but too much text means bits get skipped.

* wrap things correctly. Use code tags for code, and img tags for images (unless the images are v big, in which case use a link)

* Write about anything. If you have just done a new bit of code or graphics or so on, write it up as a tutorial - it helps other people, and helps you to remember it for later use.

* provide per-stage examples if possible.

* provide full source files at the end. This helps people in the case that they can't follow the tutorial, but still want to use it.

* don't leave it half cooked. Finish it, or delete it.

* don't post something which has already been posted recently - it's generally a bit of bad hat.

* encourage criticism, and take it gracefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users